Saturday, October 27, 2012

~ON THE ROAD WITH ROSE & ROBIN





Last Saturday my little sister got married (yippeeeee!).  I thought I had gauged enough time to make the drive to the wedding locale and arrive there about an hour before the ceremony was to start.  Unfortunately, there was a major traffic gridlock on the road I took, lopping 30+ minutes off my pre-show time.  This was a bummer indeed; however, I did enjoy snapping a couple of pics of this little jalopy which I happened to be driving (or rather, sitting at a standstill) alongside on the highway.  It was covered with pennies, from the dashboard to the fender.  I have to admit that instead of coins my automobile adornments of choice would be lots and lots of colorful buttons, rhinestones, and beads--now that would be a ride to remember! But, what a nice panoply of patina shades those copper pennies displayed!


  

Another nice thing happened whilst I was in slooooooow transit to my sister's nuptials; a lovely song I had never heard before came on the radio.  I took a mental note of a few of the lyrics, and at a later date I looked them up online so I could find out more about the song.  It turns out it's entitled, "The A Team," and is by an Englishman named Ed Sheeran. 

In relating the inspiration behind the song he says, "'The A Team' came from an experience I had when I did a gig at a homeless shelter.  I was 18 at the time and kind of quite naïve. So, I was a bit taken aback by some of the stories that I heard. I got home that night and I just wrote a lot of the lyrics. I wanted to write it so it sounded kind of upbeat, so you wouldn't really know what it's about, because it's quite a dark subject."

  According to the wikipedia article I've linked to above, the song has been compared to "folk/rock hits like Suzanne Vega's 'Luka' (about child abuse), 10,000 Maniacs' 'Like the Weather' (depression) and Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car' (alcoholism), songs that shade their heavy topics under a melodic canopy."  The meaning behind the song's title can also be found in the article.


 

*Ed Sheeran collaborated with Taylor Swift on a track on her Red album, and he'll be opening for her on her Red Tour in 2013.

• ~ • ~ •

No comments:

Post a Comment