Friday, July 13, 2012

~QUOTE & TRIVIA FOR THE DAY





• ~ • ~ •

"Great accomplishments often have bumpy starts. 
Henry Ford did not include a reverse gear on his first car."

• ~ • ~ •

In investigating the validity of the above factoid about the first car Henry Ford invented, I discovered that it also lacked brakes!!  Furthermore, I came upon this article which recounts yet another amusing snafu:

"Oops! - Ford completed his first car at 2 AM on the morning of June 6, 1896. Unfortunately the car was wider than the door to the shed in which it was assembled. It took an hour to knock bricks from the door frame and make a hole large enough for the car - it was then successfully road tested."

• ~ • ~ •

Oh my goodness, that anecdote has just brought to mind a funny story from my own family.  My mother told me that when my two sisters and I were children, our dad got up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve so he could assemble one of the toys that Santa was going to leave for us.  Putting the toy together (I can't recall exactly what it was) was a long and arduous process, to say the least.  When he finally finished, he went to take said instrument of torture (I mean, toy) into our family room where Santa was to leave our gifts, and thereupon realized it was too large to fit through the door of his bedroom.  He became so exasperated that he tore the confounded plaything apart and got rid of it altogether! ☺

*Image reblogged

• ~ • ~ •

No comments:

Post a Comment