Monday, September 17, 2012

~TOMATO SOUP FOR THE SOUL




Has everyone gotten their limited-edition Andy Warhol Campbell's soup cans?  I found out about them when I happened to come across this Reader's Digest article on Twitter, and I must say I skittered over to Target in the nick of time--there weren't very many cans left, and almost all of them had little tears on the top and bottom edges of the labels.  I did manage to find four that were in good condition, but it took about 10 minutes to do so.  I suppose collectors snapped them up right away; at only $3 a set, they will be able to store them, sell them at a later date, and make a nice profit.  There are quite a few listed on ebay as we speak, though I see some tearsssss on them!





The set was inspired by the following Warhol artworks:



His Campbell's soup cans with varied coloring, which you can see here

AND

His marvelously pop-art-hued silkscreens of iconic personages, such as these of Marilyn Monroe.  You can read more about this series here and here.



All in all, I am super-happy with my cheery-colored cans.  They'll look spiffy sitting on a table or shelf ☺.



*The Metropolitan Museum of Art is presenting a Warhol exhibition which will run through the end of the year.  You can read more about it here, here, and here.

 • ~ • ~ •

No comments:

Post a Comment