Sunday, August 5, 2012

~SONG FOR THE DAY






"This Little Bird" is a hidden track that is included on Jewel's 1998 album, "Spirit."  The track isn't listed on the back cover of the CD, and I hadn't seen it listed on the CD insert, so the first time I listened to the album all the way through, it was a delightful surprise when the song came on at the very end.  I suppose hidden tracks don't always surprise people, but this one did for me, and that's something to chirp about ☺.  You'll love this hauntingly beautiful song, which Jewel sings a cappella with her mother.  I think it sounds like a traditional folk song, and I had assumed it's roots were in the culture of Alaska, where Jewel lived from the time she was a young child until she was a teenager; however, from what I can gather, it was written by John D. Loudermilk (who is from here in NC!) and was first recorded by Marianne Faithfull in 1964 (you can listen to her rendition on youtube).

I think you'll find that all of the songs on this album are amazing.  Though I don't agree with all of the ideas which are expressed in them, I appreciate their artistry.  This music can stand alone on its own merits without relying on a lot of bells and whistles, courtesy of a recording studio.  Lyrically, they are extremely strong.  You won't find a better lyricist than Jewel.  

On a fun note, the CD design is the prettiest I have ever seen, and the photography is divine.  It makes one rue the dissolution of the material CD as MP3's become more and more prevalent!



*This pic doesn't do the CD design justice; in person, the feather on the front is like a lovely little hologram--you must tilt the disc back and forth in order to see it really well ;)














*You might also want to take a look-see at Jewel's book of verse, A Night without Armor: Poems.


*And lastly, before finishing this post, I went outside to sit on the patio and eat a Nutty Buddy, and I caught sight of this little feather, which was nestled under some dry leaves at my feet.  Serendipity.




...I suppose that leads us to our "Word of the Day"!

...And, I can't but think of this book ;)




*I've just now discovered, all these years later, that the song is in fact listed on the back cover of the CD--it's in a different font/color and is right around the corner from the main track listing...I don't know how I missed it before, yet I'm glad I did ;)


• ~ • ~ •

No comments:

Post a Comment